Friday, March 30, 2007

Democratic Party infighting, Primaries, etc.

I'll be honest, I'm a registered Independent, but, due to lack of options, have voted Democratic all my adult life. While I AM an independent, my state, Missouri, has an "open primary" which allows me to participate in primary voting for the party of my choice, even though I'm not officially registered with them. You can guess which party I vote within during the primary.

However, on this blog, I'm going to say that I like most of the Democratic candidates, its a pretty strong lineup, however, I'm not going to officially endorse any of them. All have strengths and weaknesses, that's a given, however, they all DO contribute something constructive to the debate. That's the whole point of politics in the first place, to bring ideas to the table and for others to decide if those ideas, and the people who have them, are worth supporting.

Of course, this is how things are SUPPOSED to happen, unfortunately, in both parties, this isn't completely the case, things like personal charisma, history, and perceptions matter just as much if not more than the ideas of the candidates themselves. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but, to be honest, its not all positive.

I'm not going to participate in the infighting, I already mentioned one Primary candidate's ideas on health care, Dennis Kucinich, and if others come up with ideas I like, I'll mention them, eventually. This is NOT a sign of endorsement of any of these candidates, so I just wanted to clear that up. I'm more interested in ideas that will help the people of this country, rather than just the people who declare such ideas.

No comments: